What is an Emergency Protective Order?

An Emergency Protective Order (EPO) is a court order issued by a judge to protect people from domestic abuse, threats, harassment, and stalking.

If you have been physically harmed (or there has been an attempt to physically harm you), threatened, harassed, or stalked by an intimate partner, former intimate partner, family member, current or former household member, you may meet the guidelines to file for a Protective Order under Oklahoma’s Domestic Abuse Act.

If you have questions about your safety and whether an Emergency Protective Order is right for you, please call and speak to one of our advocates at 918.337.6177 during business hours (8:30a – 5p, Monday through Friday).

If you are experiencing a domestic violence emergency or need to safety plan with an advocate outside of office hours, you may call our 24-hour crisis line at 918.214.8886.

You can also contact the Oklahoma SafeLine at 1.800.522.SAFE (7233). If you are in immediate danger or in a life-threatening situation, please call 911.

How do I get help following a sexual assault?

If you the victim of a sexual assault, you are entitled to a forensic medical exam with a trained sexual assault nurse examiner. To schedule a sexual assault exam, call our 24-hour crisis line to speak to an advocate or you can go to the emergency department at Ascension St. John Jane Phillips.

Sexual Assault exams are offered in partnership with SAFE-NOW.

What are my rights?

As a victim of the crime of Domestic Abuse, Rape or Forcible Sodomy, you have certain rights. These rights are as follows:

  1. The right to request that charges be pressed against your assailant.
  2. The right to request protection from any harm or threat of harm arising out of your cooperation with law enforcement and prosecution efforts, as far as facilities are available, and to be provided with information on the level of protection available.
  3. The right to be informed of financial assistance and other social services available as a result of being a victim, including information on how to apply for the assistance and services.
  4. Victims of domestic abuse have the right to file a petition for a Protective Order, or when the domestic abuse occurs when the Court is not open for business, to request assistance from law enforcement to get an Emergency Temporary Ex-parte Protective order.
  5. Victims of rape or forcible sodomy have a right to a free examination for the procurement of evidence to aid in the prosecution of your assailant.
  6. The right to be informed by the District Attorney of other victim’s rights available pursuant to Section 215.33 of Title 19 of Oklahoma Statutes.

How can I file for Crime Victims Compensation?

Oklahoma Crime Victims Compensation (OCVC) may be available if you or someone you love suffered a physical or psychological injury due to a violent crime that occurred anywhere in the state of Oklahoma. To file a report online visit Oklahoma Crime Victims Compensation. If you need assistance completing your application, call our office at 918.337.6177 and an advocate will be happy to assist you.

How can I get notification of the status of the offender in my child abuse, domestic violence or sexual assault case?

To register to receive notification of offender custody status changes and criminal case information please visit Oklahoma VINE. If you need assistance with your registration, call our office at 918.337.6177 and an advocate will be happy to assist you.

What service area does Ray of Hope cover?

Ray of Hope’s primary service area includes Washington, Nowata, and Osage Counties.